Unit 2 The Olympic Games
1. Kathy ______ a lot of Spanish by playing with the native boys and girls.
A. picked up B. took up C. made up D. turned up
2. We can go outing tomorrow. The bright stars ______ fine weather.
A. tell B. show C. promise D. hide
3. He told us about the ______ news in a ______ voice.
A. amazing; surprising B. amazed; surprised C. amazing; surprised D. amazed; surprising
4. The young golfer has often ______ famous players, but so far he has always been beaten.
A. be against B. competed against C. caught up D. caught with
5. As he was too young he was not ______ the concert club.
A. admitted into B. asked for C. taken along with D. brought with
6. —How long have they ______?
—They ______ more than twenty years ago.
A. got married; were married B. been married; got married
C. married; married D. got married; got married
7. Mike is eighteen and he is old enough to ______ the army.
A. takes part in B. join C. join in D. attending
8. According to the artist, the painting ______ to go for at least a million dollars.
A. is expected B. expecting C. expected D. is expecting
9. Our country is no longer ______.
A. what it used to be B. what it used to like
C. look like it used to be D. what it used to be like
10. —I can take you home. Would you like a ride?
—Yes, I’ll ______ very much. Could you stop at the drugstore on the way? I need to buy some aspirin.
A. thank you B. appreciate you C. appreciate it D. enjoy it
11. —Mike, our team will play against the Rockets this weekend. I’m sure we will win.
A. Good luck B. Cheers C. Best wishes D. Congratulations
12. Months ago we sailed ten thousand miles across this open sea, which ______ the Pacific, and we met no storms.
A. was called B. is called C. had been called D. has been called
13. —He admitted ______ in the examination.
—That’s why he was not admitted ______ university.
A. to cheat; by B. cheating; to C. to cheat; to D. cheating; by
14. We were swimming in the lake ______ suddenly the storm started.
A. when B. while C. until D. before
15. —I would never come to this restaurant again. The food is terrible!
A. Nor am I B. Neither would I C. Same with me D. So do I
1. All the c______ under the age of 18 will compete in this game.
2. She i______ many people before she found a right person.
3. About 2,000 students were a______ to Beijing University last year.
4. The clear sky p______ fine weather tomorrow.
5. He considered it’s a great h______ to be invited there.
6. Xu Haifeng won the first Olympic gold m______ in the history of China.
7. In warm weather, meat and fish won’t k______ long.
8. The atomic weapon was first used in 1945, and enormously i______ their power ever since.
9. Four people were killed; only one s______.
10. The firm has better products than its c______.
1. China has been chosen as the______ (主办国) for the 29th Olympic Games.
2. To our great surprise, she was ______ (结婚) to a man twenty years older than her.
3. The Great Wall had been rebuilt and repaired many times, ______ (尤其) during the Ming Dynasty.
4. Can anything ______ (取代) a mother’s love and care?
5. There is more ______ (竞争) than before.
start, compete, time, used to, as well (as), change one’s mind, host, take care of
1. There was ______ when I hated to go to school.
2. He gave me advice, money ______.
3. Mr. Smith ______ smoke heavily, but he has given it up.
4. I’ve decided it already. Nothing will make me ______.
5. I promise that this matter ______ next week.
必修二 Unit 2 The Olympic Games 参考答案
I． 1—5 ACCBA 6—10 BBAAC 11—15ABBAB
II． A． 1. competitors 2. interviewed 3. admitted 4. promises 5. honour 6. medal 7. keep 8. increased 9. survived 10. competitors
B. 1. host 2. married 3. especially 4. replace 5. competition
C．1. time 2. as well 3. used to 4. change my mind 5. will be taken care of
Unit 2 Poems
1. The lady has a very expensive ring with a d________ in the centre.
2. Somebody dreamed of after retirement moving to a remote c________ in the countryside.
3. If you always t________ others like that, you’ll forfeit the good opinion of your friends.
4. There is e________ work to do when you have children in the house.
5. He t________ the speech from Spanish into English.
6. The company’s head office is in the city, but it has b________ all over the country.
7. Your room looks old. Why not t________ it by painting it?
8. He told me with s________ that his mother was very ill.
9. Can you r________ any poems you have read in high school, either in Chinese or in English?
10. I think you’d better consider other a________ of the matter.
11． When the policeman arrived，the thief ________ ________ ________ （已经逃跑了）.
12. ________ ________ ________ (从某种意义上讲), he is very strict with himself.
13. There are ________ ________ ________ （有着各种各样的理由）people write poetry.
14. You ________ ________ ________ （本来应该到达）here five minutes ago.
15. When I talked with him for the first time, I found he ________ ________ ________ ________ ________ ________ (很有幽默感).
16. I wish I ________ ________ （有所了解）it before.
17． I wish you ________ ________ （能多呆） a little longer.
18. The teacher suggested that we ________ （擦）the blackboard after class.
19. The look on his face suggested that he ________ ________ ________ ________ （很满意） what I had done for him.
20. I’d rather you ________ ________ ________ ________ ________ （发表意见） the issue for the time being.
21. A: It is necessary for college students to master at least one foreign language.
B: It is necessary ________ college students ________ ________ at least one foreign language.
22. A: Without sunlight, there would be neither plants nor animals.
B: ________ ________ ________ ________ sunlight, there would be neither plants nor animals.
23. A: She insisted on translating the sentence this way.
B: She insisted that the sentence ________ ________ ________ this way.
24. A: Lucy didn’t come to class today because she didn’t feel well.
B: ________ she ________ well, Lucy ________ ________ ________ to class today.
25. A: The professor helped me a lot and I finished the work.
B: I couldn’t ________ ________ the work ________ the professor’s help.
26． The reason ________ he gave for not coming was ________ his mother wouldn’t allow him to.
A. for which; that B. which; because C. why; that D. which; that
27. —Where did you put the car keys?
—Oh, I ________ I put them on the chair because the phone rang as I ________ in.
A. remembered; come B. remembered; was coming
C. remember; come D. remember; was coming
28. In the botanical garden we can find a(n) ________ of plants that range from tall trees to small flowers.
A. species B. group C. amount D. variety
29. Some books written in English are ________ with students of English major.
A. welcome B. accepted C. pleased D. popular
30. His letter was so confusing that I could hardly make any ________ of it.
A. explanation B. meaning C. sense D. guess
31. I am sure David will be able to find the library—he has a pretty good ________ of direction.
A. idea B. feeling C. experience D. sense
32． Without my glasses, I couldn’t ________ whether that figure on the blackboard was a three or an eight.
A. make out B. make up C. make for D. make off
33． He is very popular among his students as he always tries to make them ________ in his lectures.
A. interested B. interesting C. interest D. to interest
34． We all know that wood can be ________ all kinds of useful things.
A. made of B. made from C. made up D. made into
35. He ran ________ the steps, because a murder was running ________ him.
A. up; after B. after; for C. for; up D. up; for
36. ________ his food ________, the man had to come out of his hiding place.
A. Since; runs out B. Because; has run out C. With; running out D. For; running out
37. The company has decided to ________ a new clerk in the accounts department and dismiss two from the office.
A. take in B. take on C. take over D. take off
38. Our son knows what to ________ at the university; he has made up his mind about his future.
A. take in B. take up C. take over D. take after
39. Farming and mining ________ most of the country’s industry.
A. make up of B. make up C. make of D. make up with
40. The reason ________ he is late is ________ there was a breakdown (故障) on the railway.
A. why; why B. because; that C. why; that D. that; because
选修六 Unit 2 Poems 参考答案
I. 1. diamond 2. cottage 3. tease 4. endless 5. translated 6. branches 7. transform 8. sorrow 9. recite 10. aspect
II. 11. had run away 12. In a sense 13. various reasons why 14. should have been 15. had a good sense of humor 16. had known 17. would stay 18. (should) clean 19. was quite satisfied with 20. didn’t make any comment on
III. 21. that; should master 22. If there were no 23. should be translated 24. Had; felt; would have come 25. have finished; without
IV. 26—30 DDDDC 31—35 DAADA 36—40 CBBAC