Unit 4 Wildlife Protection
1. It was in 1969 that the American astronaut ______ on the moon.
A. succeeded to land B. succeeded in landing
C. succeed in landing D. succeed landing
2. The terrible accident happened ______ his carelessness.
A. result from B. as a result of C. result in D. as a result
3. He came to my class every week, but his attitude ______ that he was not really interested in it.
A. described B. expressed C. suggested D. explained
4. My new atlas （地图册） ______ 30 maps, ______ three of China.
A. contains; including B. includes; containing
C. contains; containing D. includes; including
5. After ______, the museum will be open to the public next year.
A. completed B. completing C. being completed D. to be completed
6. —Why didn’t you come to the meeting yesterday?
—I ______, but my little son got ill suddenly and I had to take him to the hospital.
A. intended to B. had to C. intended D. had
7. I was ______ to see the lack (缺乏) of fairness of the football match.
A. surprising B. shocked C. affected D. moved
8. Helen was much kinder to her youngest son than to the others, ______, of course, made the others envy him.
A. who B. that C. what D. which
9. With no one to talk to, he had to ______.
A. get used to be lonely B. be used to be lonely
C. get used to loneliness D. used to loneliness
10. The natural protection zones protect animals ______.
A. from killed B. from being killed C. from killing D. being killed
11. The little boy came riding full speed down the motorway on his bicycle, ______ it was!
A. what a dangerous scene B. what dangerous a scene
C. how a dangerous scene D. how dangerous the scene
12. I have won a two-day holiday to Ji’nan. I ______ my dad.
A. am taking B. have taken C. take D. will have taken
13. While enjoying the wonderful scenery in the city of Shenzhen this summer, we were told to wear hats and dark glasses all the way to ______ our skin from the sun.
A. stop B. keep C. protect D. prevent
14. John is so stubborn that he never listens to his workmates, so he is ______ of losing the job.
A. out of danger B. in a danger C. dangerous D. in danger
15. You must eat fruit because it ______ all kinds of vitamins.
A. includes B. holds C. contains D. fills
1. He lived under the p______ of a strong and brave chief (首领).
2. I ate a bad apple in the morning, so I have a pain in my s______ now.
3. I can understand the book because it’s written in s______ English.
4. She r______ her shoes with a cloth to make them shine.
5. Our gardener is a p______ man; he can lift heaver boxes.
6. The necklace he bought for me was not real; it was ______ (假的).
7. Smoking ______ (影响) health, so you’d better give up smoking.
8. I was ______ (叮咬) in the leg by a mosquito.
9. The ______ (凶猛的) mountain lion attacked a flock of sheep.
10. The doctor gave my mother a new ______ (药)for her headaches.
1. Milu deer has disappeared from China.
Milu deer has ______ ______ from China.
2. The old lady is sleeping peacefully.
The old lady is sleeping ______ ______.
3. I got up so late that I was late for school.
I got up late. ______ ______ ______, I was late for school.
4. Although tourists like to watch us, they didn’t want to protect us.
They didn’t want to protect us ______ ______ tourists like to watch us.
5. In fact, I like apples very much.
______ ______ ______ ______ ______, I like apples very much.
His death is ______ ______ ______ ______ the country.
We’ve been ______ ______ ______ ______ boy all over.
3. 让我安静地看书吧。（in peace）
Leave me ______ ______ ______ read my book.
4. 他正在求职当医生。（apply for）
He is ______ ______ a job ______ ______ ______.
I ______ that we ______ ______ ______ ______ tonight.
Her expression ______ that she ______ ______.
7. 他戴着一副墨镜以保护眼睛不受阳光的刺激。（protect... from...）
He was wearing dark glasses to ______ ______ ______ ______ the sun.
He could not ______ ______ ______ anger.
9. 学习英语的学生，如果不注意听、说、读、写，就不能把英语学好。（pay attention to）
If the students who study English do not ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ and writing, they cannot learn it well.
The company ______ ______ ______ a new office building in central Boston.
必修二 Unit 4 Wildlife Protection 参考答案
I． 1—5 BBCAA 6—10 ACDCB 11—15 AACDC
II． A. 1. protection 2. stomach 3. simple 4. rubbed 5. powerful 6. artificial 7. affects 8. bitten 9. fierce 10. drug
B. 1. died out 2. in peace 3. As a result 4. even if / though 5. As a matter of fact
III．1. a great loss to 2. hunting for the lost 3. in peace to 4. applying for; as a doctor 5. suggested; should hold a meeting 6. suggested; was angry 7. protect his eyes from 8. contain himself for 9. pay attention to; listening; speaking; reading 10. has recently bought
Unit 4 Global Warming
1. Low-lying countries feel their very ________ (存在) is in danger from rising sea level.
2. Their prices are low c________ to those in other shops.
3. I don’t think anybody m________ to her apart from herself.
4. He prefers q________ to quality when food is concerned.
5. The ________ （数据）we have collected are not enough to be convincing.
6. Everything was in a s________ of disorder.
7. What is the a________ rainfall for August in your country?
8. Each ________ （单独的） boy in the class has his own personalities.
9. We have been having a few a ________ in the committee lately.
10. They were p________ in the history of music.
make any difference, and so on, on the whole, put up with, so long as, keep on, even if, come about, quantities of, run out of, result in, build up
11. The police found ________ drugs at his home.
12. Acting before thinking always ________ failure.
13. He couldn’t ________ the noise so he kept the windows shut all day long.
14. We met something unhappy, but ________, we enjoyed our stay there.
15. ________ you keep away from them, they won’t do you any harm.
16. We could see his patience ________ little by little.
17. Believe in us. We will back you to the end ________ you fail.
18. The song began to ________ to climax.
19. I wish you wouldn’t ________ interrupting me.
20. Your age shouldn’t ________ to whether you get the job or not.
21． His brother invited her to stay. That was very kind of him. (合成一句)
22． The biggest producer of greenhouse gases is the United States of America. (强调画线部分)
23． Fish could not live if there were no water. (用without改写条件句)
24． It is tomorrow afternoon that our football match will be held. (对画线部分提问)
25． They didn’t start to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide until greenhouse gases continued to build up in the atmosphere. (变成not until的强调句型)
26． Last year the number of death increased ________ 2%—5% ________ the year before last.
A. to; comparing to B. to; comparing with
C. by; to compare with D. by; compared with
27. Old photographs give one a brief ________ of the past.
A. glance B. glimpse C. sight D. look
28. The manager has ________ to improve the working conditions in the company.
A. accepted B. allowed C. permitted D. agreed
29. It was for this reason ________ her uncle moved out of New York and settled down in a small village.
A. which B. why C. that D. how
30. —How is Dennis getting along with his work?
—Well, he could always ________ a new idea for increasing sales.
A. come up with B. come about C. get away with D. get up
31. Large quantities of fish ________ caught in the Yellow Sea last year.
A. were B. was C. are D. is
32. My friend Martin was very sick with a strange fever; ________, he could neither eat nor sleep.
A. as a result B. after all C. any way D. otherwise
33. He needs time and money to ________ his own business.
A. build up B. feed on C. work out D. fit in
34. It was because of bad weather ________ the football match had to be put off.
A. so B. that C. so that D. why
35. It was ________ home after the experiment.
A. not until midnight B. not until midnight that the went
C. until midnight that he didn’t go D. until midnight when he didn’t go
选修六 Unit 4 Global Warming 参考答案
I. 1． existence 2. compared 3. matters 4. quantity 5. data 6. state 7. average 8. individual 9. agreements 10. phenomena
II. 11. quantities of 12. results in 13. put up with 14. on the whole 15. So long as 16. running out of 17. even if 18. build up 19. keep on 20. make any difference
III. 21. It’s very kind of his brother to invite her to stay.
22. It is the United States of America that is the biggest producer of greenhouse gases.
23. Without water, fish could not live.
24. When is it that our football match will be held?
25. It was not until greenhouse gases continued to build up in the atmosphere that they started to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide.
IV. 26—30 DBDCA 31—35 AAABB
Four adult elephants from Indonesia’s Elephant Flying Park gathered on Saturday in Riau Province. They carried banners （横幅） calling for the immediate protection of the remaining forests of Sumatra （苏门答腊）.
Riau has a fast deforestation （滥伐森林） rate in the world, threatening （威胁） some of the endangered species on earth, including Sumatran elephants and tigers. The event was held in a lowland forest area in Riau, Central Sumatra. Sumatra, the world’s sixth largest island, is the only place on earth where tigers, elephants and chimpanzees （黑猩猩） coexist （和平共处）.
The event took place as part of climate-change activities around the world. The four elephants joined more than 4,300 communities in over 170 countries to urge world leaders to take immediate steps to deal with climate change and protect wild animals.
The four adult elephants are former wild elephants coming from the forested areas of Riau, and were captured （捕获） by the Indonesian government as “conflict elephants.” The WWF and Tesso Nilo Park now use them to keep wild elephants in the forested area, so that they won’t be captured.
1. The event involving the four elephants was intended to _______.
A. attract tourists to the forest
B. do a survey about animal protection
C. save the endangered species on the planet
D. call for protection of the remaining forests of Sumatra
2. The four adult elephants originally came from ______.
A. the forested areas of Riau
B. the Indonesian government
C. the Tesso Nilo park authority
D. Indonesia’s Elephant Flying Park
3. The WWF and Tesso Nilo Park use the four elephants to ______.
A. help other animals enjoy better lives
B. prevent more wild elephants from being captured
C. capture more elephants as “conflict elephants”
D. drive the park’s elephants back to the forested areas
The tiger, the largest of all cats, is one of the most charming species on earth; it is also one of the most threatened. Fewer than 4,000 tigers remain in the wild. Most are in isolated （孤立的） forests stretching from India to south-eastern China and from the Russian Far East to Sumatra, Indonesia.
This great animal is being ill-treated. Tigers are poisoned （毒死）, shot and trapped, with many being killed to meet the demands of the continuing illegal （违法的） wildlife trade. Hunters, traders and poor local residents whose livelihood mainly comes from the forests are killing tigers and the natural prey （猎物） on which they live. While poaching （偷捕） for trade continues to menace tigers’ survival, perhaps the greatest long-term threats are the loss of habitat and the decrease （减少） of their natural prey. Large commercial （商业的） plantations （种植园） have replaced a lot of tiger habitat in several countries.
The WWF’s tiger conservation （保护） strategy and action plan names seven areas where the chances of long-term tiger conservation are best, and four additional areas where conservation opportunities are good. In each of these areas, the WWF aims to establish and manage effective tiger conservation, reduce the poaching of tigers and their prey, get rid of the trade in tiger parts and products, and encourage local communities to support tiger conservation.
1. According to the passage, the present situation of tigers is _______.
A. encouraging and hopeful
B. worrying and pressing
C. hopeful and enjoyable
D. troublesome and unusual
2. The underlined word “menace” in the second paragraph probably means _______.
A. threaten B. destroy
C. promote D. meet
3. The greatest long-term threats to tigers are ______.
① the loss of habitat
② the continuing illegal wildlife trade
③ large commercial plantations
④ the decrease of their natural prey
A. ①② B. ②③
C. ③④ D. ①④
（适用于人教新课标版必修二 Unit 4）
参考答案：（A）1—3 DAB （B）1—3 BAD
江苏 张利民 供稿
What is Global Warming?
The Earth as an ecosystem （生态系统） is changing, attributable in great part to the effects of globalization （全球化） and man. More carbon dioxide （二氧化碳） is now in the atmosphere than has been in the past 650,000 years. This carbon stays in the atmosphere, acts like a warm blanket （毯子）, and holds in the heat—hence （因此有……之名） the name “global warming.”
The reason we exist on this planet is because the earth naturally traps （困住） just enough heat in the atmosphere to keep the temperature within a very narrow range—this creates the conditions that give us breathable air, clean water and the weather we depend on to survive. Human beings have begun to tip （翻到） that balance. We've overloaded （使超载） the atmosphere with heat-trapping gases from our cars and factories and power plants. If we don't start fixing the problem now, we’re in for devastating （毁灭性的） changes to our environment. We will experience extreme temperatures, rises in sea levels and storms of unimaginable destructive fury. Recently, alarming events that are consistent （一致的） with scientific predictions about the effects of climate change have become more and more commonplace.
Debate topic：How to prevent Global Warming?
（适用于人教新课标版必修二 Unit 4）
吉林 梁立群 供稿
It is only during the last few years that man has generally realized that in the world of nature a balance (平衡) exists (存在) between all forms of life. No living thing can exist (存在) by itself: it is part of a system in which all forms of life are joined together. If we change one part of the nature’s order, it will certainly bring about changes in some other parts.
The cutting down of forests reduced the supply of oxygen (氧气). The killing of weeds and insects (昆虫) by chemicals led to the wide—spread poisoning (毒药) of animals and birds. The throwing of waste products into the ocean hurt life in the sea, while waste gases changed the chemical balance of the atmosphere and shut out some of the sun’s necessary life—giving rays.
And so we could go on adding more examples until in despair (绝望) we might feel like giving up the struggle to control (控制) these harmful human activities. Man is very clever at changing the world around him to satisfy his immediate needs, but he is not so clever at looking far ahead, or at thinking about what the future results of his action might be. Man will well destroy himself because of his silly actions.
1. The first paragraph tells us that _______
A. everything in nature can’t exist without the help of man
B. no living thing can live naturally
C. all living things in nature depend on each other
D. man has known the importance of the balance of nature for a long time
2. The last paragraph suggests that in order to meet his demands (要求), __________.
A. man often fails to think about the future results of his action
B. man is always too eager in planning for the distant future
C. man often feels that he will have to give up in despair
D. man is always anxious to control his activities
3. Which of the following statements is true?
A. The cutting down of woods does little harm to human beings.
B. Man has to pay much more attention to the future results of his present actions.
C. Oxygen comes from forests only.
D. This passage tells us to try our best to get as much as possible from the nature.
（适用于人教修订版第一册—上 Unit 10）