Unit 5 Music
1. European football is played in 80 countries, ______ it the most popular sport in the world.
A. making B. make C. made D. to make
2. The plan is ______ designed ______ nothing can be done to change it.
A. so; that begins B. so; that begun
C. such; that beginning D. such; that begun
3. It was raining heavily. Little Mary felt cold, so she stood ______ to her mother.
A. close B. closely C. closed D. closing
4. Don’t worry. I’ll tell him the message ______ I see him.
A. until B. unless C. at the moment D. as soon as
5. The old house stood empty ______.
A. years B. for years C. since years D. until years
6. The famous scientist was from a small village ______ Tiger Hill.
A. was called B. is calling C. calling D. called
7. They ______ their theory ______ what they observed.
A. are based; on B. based; from C. based; on D. are based; from
8. I’d like to buy a house — modern, comfortable and ______ in a quiet neighbourhood.
A. in all B. above all C. after all D. at all
9. It was a pity that the great writer died ______.
A. for his works unfinishing B. with his works unfinished
C. from his work unfinished D. of his work unfinishing
10. Roses need special care ______ they can live through winter.
A. because B. so that C. even if D. as
11. —I’m afraid they may not agree with you.
—I don’t care whatever they’ll say. I’ve made my decision and I’m going to ______ it.
A. carry out B. keep up C. insist that D. stick to
12. —Why did the police ______ the crowd?
—Because the president’s car ______ in the street.
A. break down; went wrong B. break up; out of order
C. break down; broke up D. break up; broke down
13. The type of music has become very famous in Britain and is very good music ______.
A. dance to B. dancing to C. to dance to D. to dance
14. —Can you tell me how to learn English well?
—Do more speaking, I think, ______ you’ll be good at spoken English.
A. or B. then C. and D. until
15. —The water has been running all night along. No one would go and turn it off?
A. You’d better not do it again B. Why can’t you do something about it
C. Don’t you remember to turn it off D. Really! I can’t agree with you more
1. The doctor p______ the operation successfully.
2. The bus company provided e______ buses because there were so many people.
3. The pilot checked the i______ before he took off.
4. He answered the a______ in the paper and got a job.
5. The concert ______ (吸引) a great number of people.
honor, wear, match... with, stick to, insist, break up, be honest with, different kinds of, extra, by chance, on a tour (of), afterwards, perform, play jokes on, sort out, above all, after all, on a holiday
1. There are many ______ mooncakes in that shop; all of them are delicious.
2. Don’t be concerned about it. As the boss, I’ll ______ you ______ a proper post (岗位).
3. ______ ourselves, I don’t think we have a chance of winning.
4. The bus company provided (提供) ______ buses because of the October Golden Week.
5. The meeting ______ at eleven o’clock last night.
6. —What’s your plan tomorrow?
—I’ll go ______ the museum with my parents.
7. —Let’s finish off our work first, and eat ______, shall we?
—Ok! Work comes first.
8. Lucy enjoys ______ sunglasses even it is not shiny.
9. As a member of CPC, you should ______ the “Three Represents” principle at any time and place.
10. I feel highly ______ by your trust.
11. He always likes to ______ me because we are close friends.
12. I’ll leave you to ______ that ______.
13. This kind of hotel you choose is probably decided ______ according to how much money you want to spend.
14. ______, I once read something by that writer.
15. I know he hasn’t finished his work, but, ______, he is busy.
必修二 Unit 5 Music 参考答案
I． 1—5 ABADB 6—10 DCBBB 11—15 DDCCB
II． A． 1. performed 2. extra 3. instruments 4. advertisement 5. attracted
B． 1. different kinds of 2. match; with 3. To be honest with 4. extra 5. broke up 6. on a tour of 7. afterwards 8. wearing 9. stick to 10. honored 11. play jokes on 12. sort; out 13. above all 14. By chance 15. after all
Unit 5 The Power of Nature
1. The view from the top of the mountain was most i________.
2. Her friend’s e________ gave her the confidence to enter the competition.
3. All the children listened to his a________ in the mountains.
4. The beautiful vase made in Qing Dynasty in the store is very p________.
5. U________, in spite of great efforts we made, we fail to carry out our project.
6. When I was a child, I used to go b________ in the river.
7. We all admire him for his c________ against difficulty.
8. They g________ delivery within one week.
9. We were b________ with his story, but he has repeated it again and again.
10. I am still amazed at their beauty as well as their p________ to cause great damage.
11. Being seriously ill, he sent his mother to hospital.
12. Doing his homework, he began to watch TV.
13. Not to know what to do, he came up to ask for help.
14. This problem is very difficult to deal.
15. The boy was noticed take away your book.
16． ________ （站在山顶上）, you can see as far as the seaside.
17． The fish can eat a person in two minutes, ________ （只剩下骨头）.
18． ________ （完成作业以后）， the boy went out to play football.
19． ________ （被那么多人注意到）, she felt nervous, not knowing what to say.
20． ________ （没有用正确的方法清洗）, the coat has faded.
21． ________ （很久没有收到她儿子的来信）, the mother worried a great deal.
22． ________ （在做作业的时候）, you mustn’t listen to the music.
23． ________ （有那么多人在看她）, the girl felt nervous.
24． ________ （一般说来）, women work more carefully than men.
25． ________ （从他的口音判断）, he must be an American.
26. —What did he do in the middle of the night?
—Well, I’m not sure, but he was often heard ________.
A. playing the piano B. to play piano C. to play the piano D. to be playing piano
27. When he was a boy, he used to go there and watched ________.
A. bicycles repaired B. bicycles to be repaired
C. bicycles being repaired D. to repair bicycles
28. Does anybody ________ such a little girl inventing this kind of machine?
A. suppose B. hope C. expect D. imagine
29. The passengers were warned ________ pickpockets.
A. of B. with C. against D. over
30. —How is everything going on with you in Europe?
—Quite well. Not so smoothly as I hoped, ________.
A. though B. instead C. either D. too
31. Don’t worry about how much money you have to spend. I will ________ with you ________ the cost.
A. spend; for B. stay; with C. share; in D. live; on
32. You can do it if you want to, but in my opinion it’s not worth the ________.
A． effort B． attempt C． trial D． strength
33. Many people in developing countries do what they can to go abroad in order to try their ________.
A. effort B. fortune C. business D. deed
34. The boy with glasses ________ the judge with his attitude and sense of humor.
A. impressed B. caused C. aided D. preferred
35. ________ other good students, the teacher thinks, Hank is ________ student.
A. Compared with; a most satisfied B. Compared to; the most satisfied
C. Comparing to; the most satisfying D. Compared with; a more satisfying
选修六 Unit 5 The power of nature 参考答案
I. 1. impressive 2. encouragement 3. adventures 4. precious 5. Unfortunately 6. bathing 7. courage 8. guaranteed 9. bored 10. potential
II. 11. Being seriously ill, his mother was sent to hospital.
12. Having done his homework, he began to watch TV.
13. Not knowing what to do, he came up to ask for help.
14. This problem is very difficult to deal with.
15. The boy was noticed to take away your book.
III. 16. Standing on top of the hill 17. leaving only bones 18. Having finished his homework 19. Being noticed by so many people 20. Not having been washed in the correct way 21. Not having heard from her son for a long time 22. When doing your homework 23. With so many people looking at her 24. Generally speaking 25. Judging from his accent
IV. 26—30 CBDCA 31—35 CABAD
1. The child looked at me ______.
A. stranger B. strangely C. strange D. strangeless
2. The black people were against slavery and fought for their ______ bravely.
A. free B. freely C. freedom D. freeway
3. No one should enter the spot without the ______ of the police.
A. permit B. permission C. permitting D. permition
4. The soldier gave his life to his motherland, so his ______ is heavier than Mount Tai.
A. die B. dead C. died D. death
5. To everyone’s ______, the girl finished the job quite well.
A. satisfied B. satisfactory C. satisfying D. satisfaction
6. Though ______ money, his parents managed to send him to university.
A. lacked B. lacking of C. lacking D. lacked in
7. My TV is out of order. Can you tell me what is the ______ news about Iraq War?
A. lately B. latest C. later D. latter
8. You’d better put your ______ in the bank.
A. valuables B. values C. valuable D. value
9. —What are you doing here?
—Oh, my teacher asked me to write a passage about ______ in English.
—You can write a ______ passage in English?
A. 600 words; 600-words B. 600-word; 600-words
C. 600 words; 600-word D. 600-words; 600-words
10. ______ speaking, I didn’t do it on purpose.
A. Honestly B. Honest C. Honesty D. Dishonest
11. It’s ______ to persuade him to give up smoking. He’s very stubborn.
A. possible B. impossibly C. unlikely D. likely
12. Dan caught two ______ birds in the wood last week and they are still
______ in the cage.
A. alive; live B. live; live C. live; alive D. alive; alive
1. He isn’t able to get along well with others for his ______ (mannered).
2. He got a ______ (paid) job after he received his doctor’s degree.
3. What is the ______ (post) for this letter?
4. At last he made a big ______ (decide) and bought 50 cards.
5. I would question the ______ (wise) of borrowing such a large sum of money.
6. After watching the exciting performances, they were so excited that none of them fell ______ (sleep) until very late.
7. It is ______ (legal) to hunt rare animals in China.
8. My father used to smoke a lot, but he is a ______ (smoke) now.
9. His poor eyesight was a ______ (advantage) to him.
10. It is necessary for us to remember all the ______ (regular) verbs when we learn English.
11. It was ______ (fool) of you to believe him.
12. The seats in this car are ______ (adjust) so they are suitable for people.
13. I’m sure my information is ______ (value).
14. It gives me great ______ (please) to grow flowers.
15. She wants to be an ______ (act) because she is interested in performances.
I. 1—5 BCBDD 6—10 CBACA 11—12 CC
II. 1. unmannered 2. well-paid 3. postage 4. decision 5. wisdom 6. asleep 7. illegal 8. non-smoker 9. disadvantage 10. irregular 11. foolish 12. adjustable 13. valuable 14. pleasure 15. actress
Haydn (1732—1809) The Austrian composer was central to the establishment (音乐界的﹑ 知识界的﹑ 艺术界的当权派) of the classical style in music. He is often referred to as the father of the symphony (交响乐). Haydn composed 104 symphonies! Mozart and Haydn shared a mutual (相互的) respect and friendship. Beethoven was Haydn’s pupil.
Mozart (1756—1791) Mozart was an Austrian child prodigy (奇才) who wrote his first symphony when he was eight years old. Many people consider Mozart to be the greatest composer of all time. He wrote over 600 pieces of music.
Beethoven (1770—1827) The musical genius was also considered an eccentric (怪人). He became isolated(孤僻的) as he battled against his loss of hearing. He was born in Germany, but spent his whole adult life in Vienna, Austria. He composed all nine of his famous symphonies between 1799 and 1824.
Chopin (1810—1849) Chopin was famous for his ability at the piano. He wrote most of his music for that instrument. Many of his pieces are quite short but they are all beautiful. Though born in Poland, Chopin spent the second half of his life in Paris.
Tchaikovsky (1840—1893) Tchaikovsky was born into a wealthy Russian family. His father wanted him to become a lawyer, but he became a composer instead. He is probably most famous for ballet music such as The Sleeping Beauty, The Nuteracker and Swan Lake.
His name is 1 . He was born in Germany, but spent his whole adult life in Vienna, Austria. He composed all 2 of his famous symphonies between 1799 and 1824.
His name is 3 . He was born into a wealthy Russian family. And he became a composer. He is probably most famous for 4 such as Swan Lake.
His name is 5 . Though born in Poland, he spent the second half of his life in Paris. And he was famous for his ability at the 6 .
His name is 7 . Many people consider him to be the greatest composer of all time. He wrote over 8 pieces of music.
(适用于人教新课标版 必修二 Unit 5)
参考答案：1. Beethoven 2. nine 3. Tchaikovsky 4. ballet music 5. Chopin 6. piano 7. Mozart 8. 600
江苏 张利民 供稿
On the morning of December 26, 2004, there was a magnitude (震级) 9.0 earthquake __1__ the Northwest coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra. It was the most powerful earthquake in the world in the past 40 years. The earthquake __2__ a large tsunami（海啸）. The wall of water was as __3__ as 20 meters. The tsunami struck twelve countries in southeast Asia and south Asia and killed thousands of people. It was the __4__ natural disaster in 2004.
In the morning, the blue sea looked __5__ and beautiful. Everyone was enjoying holiday when they __6__ a big noise like a bomb (轰炸). People in the sea ran towards the shore __7__ and screamed “Water is coming! Water is coming!” The flow (水流) of water was __8__ strong that cars were turned upside down. The flood washed away everything on the seaside! There is __9__ between the sky and the earth any more.
Up to January 3, 2005, the number of victims from the earthquake and tsunami was over 150,000. The largest number of victims was in Indonesia. And __10__ is said that half of the victims were children.
December 26 of the year 2004 was the unluckiest day. People call it “Black Sunday”.
1. A. at B. in C. on D. to
2. A. began B. shook C. happened D. caused
3. A. high B. low C. wide D. long
4. A. hardest B. easiest C. smallest D. biggest
5. A. quiet B. dirty C. dangerous D. noisy
6. A. hear B. heard C. hearing D. was hearing
7. A. quick B. slow C. quickly D. slowly
8. A. very B. quite C. such D. so
9. A. everything B. anything C. nothing D. something
10. A. it B. that C. this D. he
（适用于人教新课标版 选修六 Unit 5）
参考答案：1—5 BDADA 6—10 BCDCA