1. The teacher demanded that the exam ______ (finish) before eleven.
2. She made the demand that the journalists ______ (leave) at once for Iraq.
3. He is talking so much about America as if he ______ (be) there.
4. The young man insisted that he ______ (do) nothing wrong and ______ (set) free.
5. Had you listened to the doctor, you ______ (be) all right now.
6. A few minutes earlier, and we ______ (catch) the train.
7. —Have you ever been to Beijing?
—No, but I wish I ______ (have).
8. I’m glad I went over all my notes; otherwise I ______ (fail).
9. —What will you do during the summer holiday?
—I don’t know, but it’s high time that I ______ (decide) something.
10. What should we do if it ______ (snow) tomorrow?
11. If only I ______ (lose) my watch!
12. You ______ (make) such a serious mistake if you had followed his advice.
13. We ______ (complete) the task on time without your help.
14. —Where have you been?
—I got caught in traffic; otherwise I ______ (be) here sooner.
15. If it were not for the fact that you ______ (be) ill, I would ask you to do this right now.
1. (should) be finished 2. (should) leave 3. had been 4. had done; should be set 5. would be 6. could have caught 7. had 8. would have failed 9. decided / should decide 10. snowed / should snow / were to snow 11. hadn’t lost 12. might not have made 13. couldn’t have completed 14. would have been 15. are
1. She doesn’t speak ______ her friend, but her written work is excellent.
A. as well as B. as often as
C. as much as D. as good as
2. The door of the shop ______, though it was ten o’clock in the morning.
A. remained open B. remain opened
C. remained lock D. remain locking
3. On Sunday afternoon, Mr. Brown went to the market, ______ some bananas and visited his cousin.
A. buying B. bought C. to buy D. buy
4. The suit costs less than 100 yuan, but I bought it for ______ 300 yuan.
A. as many as B. as much as
C. as high as D. as expensive as
5. I told the police who came to ______ the accident what ______ the poor boy.
A. looked into; has happened on
B. look in; was happened to
C. looked in; happened on
D. look into; happened to
6. They both talked ______ friends ______.
A. as if they had been; before
B. as though they were; before
C. as they had been; ago
D. if they were; ago
7. The teacher came into the classroom, ______ a group of students.
A. following with B. followed by
C. following by D. followed for
8. —Excuse me, does Mr. Wang teach in this school?
—No, he ______.
A. used to be B. used to teach
C. was used to D. used to
9. ______, he does get angry with her sometimes.
A. Much as he likes her
B. Much although he likes her
C. As he likes her much
D. Although much he likes her
10. We have got the news that ______ in public.
A. smoking is not allowed
B. it is not allowed to smoke
C. to smoke is not allowed
D. smoking don’t allow
11. My father is good at cooking. My family all ______ by my father.
A. prefer food cooked better
B. prefer food cooked
C. better prefer food cooked
D. prefer food to be cooked
12. The happy look on his face ______ that he had passed the final examination successfully.
A. explained B. insisted
C. suggested D. said
13. Not only ______ able to drive a truck, but ______able to repair it.
A. was he; was he B. was he; he was
C. he was; was he D. was he; can he
14. He sat still in the chair, ______.
A. with his eyes close B. his eyes close
C. with his eyes closed D. his eyes closed
15. Take all the valuable things that ______.
A. belongs to you B. belong to you
C. belonged to yours D. belonged to your
16. The boy who was just sleeping was caught ______ his English book.
A. pretending to read B. to pretend reading
C. pretending reading D. to pretend to read
17. I would rather ______ in than ______ out on such a hot day.
A. stay; go B. to stay; to go
C. stay; to go D. to stay; go
18. —Tom studies English but he doesn’t study Chinese.
A. So it is with Mary B. So is Mary
C. So is it with Mary D. So Mary is
19. Was it ______ worried you?
A. what he did that B. that what he did
C. he did that what D. he did what that
20. As time passed, the theory he stuck ______ correct.
A. to prove B. proved
C. to proved D. to proving
ancient, celebrate, admit, see, honest, remain, prove, go with, be proud, nor, solve, with, have... in common, contain, in one’s opinion, come with, concern, discuss, pay attention to, in one’s way, in a bad way, in this way, /
1. He looks ______ enough, but can we trust him?
2. —It’s my birthday.
3. Each ticket ______ two people to the party.
4. —She is a remarkable (杰出的) person.
—I ______ to know her.
5. The school ______ green throughout the year and flowers bloom even in winter.
6. I shall ______ to you that the witness (证人) is not speaking the truth.
7. He can’t see, ______ could he hear until a month ago.
8. Her blouse doesn’t ______ her skirt.
9. She ______ to enter the building where the crime happened.
10. She married ______ a rich man years ago.
11. Alice ______ many interests ______ with George.
12. ______, that was the right thing to do.
13. The media can often help ______ problems and draw attention to many difficult situations.
14. Don’t ______ yourself ______ this matter.
15. All the students should ______ their spelling because they made so many mistakes in the compositions.
16. Most of us would probably hold on to the fame (名声) and money that ______ being a TV star.
17. This meeting hall ______ 800 persons.
18. Put your name on your paper. ______ I can tell who wrote it.
19. Please pick up your bags; they are ______.
20. Mr. Wang is ______. The doctors are not very hopeful about him.
I. 1—5 ACBBD 6—10 ABDAA 11—15 BCBCB 16—20AAAAC
II． 1. honest 2. celebrate 3. admits 4. am proud 5. remains 6. prove 7. nor 8. go with 9. was seen 10. / 11. has; in common 12. In my opinion 13. solve 14. concern; about 15. pay attention to 16. come with 17. contains 18. In this way 19. in my way 20. in a bad way
1. Mr. Smith, ______ of the ______ speech, started to read a novel.
A. tired; boring B. tiring; bored
C. tired; bored D. tiring; boring
2. He ______ his order because of the lack of money.
A. cancelled B. placed
C. took D. received
3. —Did you listen to the lecture?
—Yes, I have never heard a ______ one.
A. more exciting B. more excited
C. most exciting D. most excited
4. ______ any biscuits that morning, we had nothing to eat.
A. Not baking B. Not having baked
C. Not being baked D. Not having been baked
5. ______ with a difficult situation, Arnold decided to ask his boss for advice.
A. To face B. Having faced
C. Faced D. Facing
6. He sent me an e-mail, ______ to get further information.
A. hoped B. hoping C. to hope D. hope
7. ______ the child to bed, she began to correct the pupils’ exercise.
A. Sending B. Being sent
C. Sent D. Having sent
8. His eyes ______ with tears.
A. bathed B. were bathed
C. were bathing D. bathes
9. ______ her mother call her, the little girl hurried out, ______ her toys on the floor.
A. Hearing; left B. Heard; to leave
C. Heard; having left D. Hearing; leaving
10. It was only with the help of the local guide ______.
A. was the mountain climber rescued
B. that the mountain climber was rescued
C. when the mountain climber was rescued
D. than the mountain climber was rescued
11. When the police took the suspect to the police station, he insisted that he ______ the lady’s purse and that he ______ free.
A. not steal; be set B. didn’t steal; was set
C. not steal; should be D. hadn’t stolen; be set
12. ______ for the Olympic Games, Chinese team flew to Athens full of confidence.
A. Prepared B. Preparing
C. To prepare D. Prepare
13. There was no doubt ______ it was in the supermarket ______ I lost my wallet yesterday.
A. whether; whether B. that; that
C. that; whether D. whether; that
14. ______, safety belts were worn only by a small percentage of passengers, which caused more deaths.
A. Happily B. Unfortunately
C. Therefore D. Instead
15. His voice ______ with anger when he heard her rude words.
A. trembled B. feared C. shook D. moved
16. If the doctor had come earlier, the poor child ______.
A. would not have been lied there for two hours
B. would not have laid there for two hours
C. would not have lied there for two hours
D. would not have lain there for two hours
17. I wish that I ______ with you last night.
A. went B. could go
C. have gone D. had gone
18. Let’s say you could go there again, how ______ feel?
A. will you B. should you
C. would you D. do you
19. —Mr. Brown left for London long ago.
—That’s a pity. I wish ______.
A. I meet him. B. I’ll have met him
C. I had met him D. I’d meet him
20. I can’t stand him. He always talks as though he
A. knew B. knows
C. has known D. had known
1. There are various ______ ______ (理由) people write poetry.
2. If I hadn’t ______ ______ ______ ______ （死死盯住） the ball, we would won the match.
3. It is easy to write and give a clear pictures and creates a special feeling ______ ______ ______
______ ______ （用很少的词语）.
4. Some of the first poetry ______ ______ ______（用英文写的） were nursery rhymes.
5. Haiku is a Japanese form of poetry that ______ ______ ______ ______ （由……组成） 17 syllables.
6. If we hadn’t ______ ______ ______ （用完） sugar, I wouldn’t have gone to the shops.
7. You must try to ______ ______ ______ ______ （集中精力于） work and study.
8. There is nothing more natural than a child’s ______ ______ (信任) his parents.
9. He tried his best to change ______ ______ ______ ______ （生活方式）.
10. Eating too much sugar can ______ ______ （导致） health problems.
11． The flowers will change their colors ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ (在一天的不同时间).
12． I thought her nice and honest ______ ______ ______ （第一次） I saw her.
13. I know this job of mine isn’t much, but ______
______ ______ ______ （另一方面） I don’t feel tied down.
14． In 1919, the May 4th Movement ______ ______ (发生) in China.
15. The American people elect a president ______
I. 1—5 AAABC 6—10 BDBDB 11—15 DABBA 16—20 DDCCB
II. 1. reasons why 2. taken my eye off 3. with just a few words 4. written in English 5. is made up of 6. run out of 7. focus your mind on 8. belief in 9. the / his way of life 10. lead to 11. at different times of the day 12. the first time 13. on the other hand 14. took place 15. every four years